Monday, August 21, 2017

I'm getting sick of winter - but I do have a new fence

I am really getting sick of winter, just as I do every year at this time. I can't start sowing seed in trays for another couple of weeks and it is still six weeks away till I can start planting outside. It is hard to stay patient.

It is far too wet to do anything outside so I just have to go out occasionally and look at the boggy, waterlogged ground and hope that the few things I do have in the ground don't rot before the soil dries up a bit.

Just another few weeks, I keep telling myself.







On the plus side, I do have a brand new fence on one side of the property. That will stop the sheep getting through, and they put rabbit netting on so that will fix the rabbit problem, on that side anyway.

Now I just have to find enough money to do the other sides, and then hope the owner doesn't want to sell the place in the future before I am able to buy it, in which case I will have wasted the money.



My bed of 'Island Gem' lettuces are doing well and starting to head. They have been a bit slow because of the cold and wet but they still look good. I love this mix of mini heading lettuces, they look great with their colours, spots and stripes, and they are never bitter.

I do have a small bed of 'Camo Oakheart' lettuces in also but even though they look fantastic they just go bitter all the time, and I hate bitter lettuces.


I think I have posted about these before but they are quite ornamental. These are 'Singara' rat-tail radishes. The pods are much longer than the 'normal' rat-tails you can buy here, and they seem to be tenderer and better flavoured. They are definitely not as harsh.
Pity I just haven't been able to take good pictures that show the pods off well.























No comments:

Post a Comment