Sunday, June 4, 2017

Selecting white beetroot for seed, and frosty mornings

The frosts were late this year but they are making up for it now. We have had some fairly severe frosts the last few mornings which has finished the yacon and capsicums.


 This is what the yacon looks like now. I will be digging the tubers next week ready for sale. I really like yacon but I grow too much to eat all the tubers. I am really disappointed that I can't get people to buy them, or even take them for free.
Oh well, just like the melons, pumpkins and capsicums I will be throwing out a lot of good food.
 I have just mowed another acre, well, 3/4 of an acre once I take out the shed and yard. I am happy to expand some more and corn will go in here next spring. I wish I could expand faster but until I can find a working business partner I will just have to do what I can.
I have had a couple of bites but no-one who is interested enough to actually come and chat and see the business. It is hard to find anyone who wants to move to a small town like Casterton, even though the business has so much potential.

 Today I got to pulling the white beetroot to select the best roots to replant for seed. I was happy to see that I had to do very little roguing, just about all the roots were a good shape and size.

I sometimes see white beetroot and sugar beet called the same thing in seed catalogues but they are different. White beets are rounder and less sweet that sugar beet, and less ugly.


White beets are said to have none of the chemical that makes red beets taste like dirt to some people. I love beetroot so I don't know for sure but I should test that out one day.














Here is a pic in the middle of planting the selected roots into a new 20m bed. They will quickly recover and be healthy plants by spring when they will bolt to seed.

Today was very cold and frosty in the morning but lovely and sunny this afternoon so I took advantage of the sun to get out and get a heap of work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment