Friday, June 16, 2017

Digging yacon and Chinese artichokes

We are having some great, sunny days lately so I have been getting out to do a heap of weeding and tidying up for winter. The last of the tuberous crops to go up to Qld with me have been dug so I am ready to go, well, as soon as I clean up my van and put the seed in. Must get on to that today.

This will be my last post for a couple of weeks as I will be on the road and I probably won't be on the internet much.

 Yesterday I dug up the Chinese artichokes. I only had a few plants in after losing most of them last year due to bad management. I had them growing in a bed where I hadn't got rid of the crab grass properly. By the time the artichokes started growing the crab grass was well up and growing strongly so I couldn't get rid of it. The artichokes really don't compete well with running grasses.

Even with the few plants I had and not watering them well last summer they did produce good sized tubers. This is not a good producing crop but it is fun.
You can put the tubers in salads and stir fries for a bit of crunch, and they look amazing.








I also got into digging up the yacon. The eating tubers were great this year, and quite big, though I was a bit disappointed with the small amount of growing sets that were produced. At least I had enough to replant and to fill the order I have for them.

I will let the tubers sweeten and take them to the markets next month.





The tubers were quite crowded and I think this was because the soil amendments like lime and fertiliser have not yet sunk down low into the soil so the roots have stayed around the top of the soil rather then going down.

This will remedy itself over time as rain washes the good stuff deeper into the soil but I will have to keep an eye on it. The roots really don't like the severe natural acidity of my soil. I have also noticed this in some of my other vegetables.

As the soil gets improved deeper I will get better results every year.

















No comments:

Post a Comment