Saturday, June 10, 2017

Digging the Arracacha

With only a week to go till I leave on my trip up north I have started digging some of my tuberous vegetables to take. I have beds of yacon, arracacha, mauka and arrowroot to get through, clean and pack for the trip. Due to the wet at the end of last year most of the plants rotted and died so I don't have near as many as I would have liked.

 A couple of posts ago I told you about a couple of aracacha plants that I dug up to divide for replanting. They had heaps of top growth and no roots.

Well the one I dug up today only had a few small roots but at least it was enough for a meal. I had forgotten how tasty they are, like thick, sticky potato with a flavour I can't really describe and also a bit sweet. I will leave a couple of plants in the ground for another year to see what the roots do.

The roots must be cooked (I boil mine) as they are too hard to eat when raw.

The plants grew bigger this year than they ever have done before. It is probably the soil but I will have to work on the optimal conditions for not only top growth, but also root formation.

The leaves are a bit too stringy to eat though they are not poisonous.

This is a pic from last year but I decided to show it again because I forgot to go out and take some photos today.

This is how the main part of the plant grows, the roots have been pulled off at this stage.
The main stem produces smaller stems which you can cut or break off and replant.
Before planting you need to cut the bottoms of the cuttings a few times to encourage more roots to form.

Although you can dig the plant every winter if your season is long enough, you should try to leave the plants in the ground for two years for bigger roots. The plants will die down a bit to a lot over winter depending how cold it gets but will bounce back in spring.







1 comment: