Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Selecting Pusa Asita carrot

I am so looking forward to the winter break. The mornings are getting too cold now to be out when the sun rises so I an enjoying sitting at home a bit longer and just working mostly in the afternoon.


I started to harvest the chufa and found that mice have been living among the roots and eating them. I have only been able to gather half of what I expected.
 I was so worried about rabbits that I didn't even consider the mouse problem.

At least the longer than usual season means that the tubers are also bigger. I have enough to sell and some left over to eat, yam.

Today I dug up one small bed of 'Pusa Asita' carrot to choose the best roots to replant for seed.

If you have been following my journey with this carrot you will know that at first I had so much trouble germinating it that I crossed it with 'Cosmic Purple' just to get the germination percentage up.

The germination is a lot better now but I have spent the last couple of seasons selecting back to dark purple/black to the core. Cosmic purple has a yellow core.

The colour seems to be getting a lot better. I dug up 75 carrots and only had to bin three for yellow or white cores and five for having a thin yellow ring around the core.
Hopefully I won't have any light cores at all next season.

 I am also selecting for purple foliage and pink flowers.

Too bad the dark purple flesh stains everything from your hands to the benchtop. At least the dark purple pigment is full of nutritional flavonoids. At least the flavour is good and it doesn't loose its colour too easily when cooking.

 The worst thing about this variety is that it is so damn sensitive to soil conditions. It is usually a fine shape till it matures and then if the soil conditions are not exactly right the roots get so ugly it is hard to even look at them.
Some of these roots got eaten tonight, they are still tender even like this.

I understand it is an environmental problem but I don't want to have to worry about fixing the soil especially for them so I am selecting away from this trait. I want them to do well in any soil.
Only the best coloured single roots go back in the ground. Out of this lot I have selected 36 to replant.

I have another bed that is younger so I won't be digging them till well into winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment