Sunday, April 9, 2017

Tomato seed saving part two, and sorghum selection

Well it looks like the heat of summer is finally over so I can get into chopping down all the dead corn and planting more winter crops.

Tomato seed saving part two



After letting your tomato mash sit for three days, or four in cooler weather, stirring it a couple of times a day, you will see some foam or a light layer of white mould form on the top. This shows that it is ready for separating the seed out.

Now fill the bucket or bowl with water to make it more liquid. This allows the seed to fall to the bottom more easily.

 Carefully pour out all the pulp leaving the seeds at the bottom.


 You will need to add water and pour off the pulp a few times until the water is clear and the seeds are clean











Use a fine strainer (I use a tea strainer) to strain off the water. Spread the seeds on a plate to dry. Make sure you label the plate if you are cleaning more than one variety of seed.

When dry, pour the seeds into a dry container and label.


Selecting broom sorghum seed

I have started harvesting my broom sorghum and have put the stems away to finish drying so I can then sort out the heads I will be saving seeds from.

Seed I will NOT be saving come from heads like this one at the right. These heads have a central stem within the head and are sparsely seeded. I will also be throwing out seed heads that are short.




Heads that are worth saving seeds from are those that are long, at least as long as my elbow to the tips of my fingers, and those with thick, full seed heads.

I will also be trying to keep as many different colours as possible without having too many of one shade.

To remove the seeds from the stalks I like to use a metal dog comb, or a horse mane comb might work. They work very well and are quick.




1 comment:

  1. I use the same method to save tomato seeds. The advantage of fermenting is that many bacteria are removed

    ReplyDelete