Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mini capsicums and yacon

Since the rains have come early this year and the frosts are late everything is growing superbly, including the weeds unfortunately. I put some carrots in a bit late but I think that they are still going to be ok.
Until the root crops are dug up to select the best roots for seed, and the tuberous crops are dug up for harvesting late May or early June there really isn't much to blog about. I am sure you don't want me to put up pictures and complaints about weeds for the next month, lol  I think my blogging is going to be a bit more erratic from now until spring.

I took more notice of the mini capsicums this year as I grew more than usual. It is weird how different each colour/variety is.
The red ones are very delicate and break easily both when harvesting and with the wind. It is so easy to break of branches and most of the plants have blown over now. At least they are still bearing strongly.
The chocolate ones did not germinate or grow well this year. They need more fertilising that the others which I didn't do so the fruit is small.
The orange ones bear like crazy and have strong plants but the fruits hold on strongly and it is easy to break branches as you pull them off. And the orange ones have fruit that face upwards so they look great when the bushes are bearing.

 My yacon plants are growing strongly, though they are small as I transplanted them late. They were getting overrun with weeds so I had to dig up the young plants and replant them in clean beds.

 I can't wait till they are ready to harvest as I like eating them, though I usually have way too many tubers and a lot goes to waste.
Yacon is so easy to grow that I am surprised that more people don't know about it. I have noticed that many people in the permaculture community not grow it now though.

The sparrows finally found the sorghum. Luckily it is the end of the crop and I only had a few poor heads on the remaining plants. I will have to cover the two types I plan to grow next year (popping and sugar) as sparrows are quick to learn when food plants are growing each season.

I count myself lucky that the grain was not targeted by birds sooner.









No comments:

Post a Comment