Sunday, March 12, 2017

Seedling potatoes, apple melons and Round of Hungary capsicums.

Whew, a couple of cool days is giving me a great break. It is predicted that summer is going to hang on a bit longer this year so any cooler break is so welcome.
I got some giant Chinese spring onion seedlings planted out but wasn't game enough to plant out any of the other seedlings in trays just yet and the temps are supposed to rise into the 30s for the next week after tomorrow. At least these couple of cooler days has seen them looking fine and if I keep up the irrigation on them for the next week to get their roots down they will make it through.


 Most of the melons have now been picked but the 'Apple' melons are a bit later this year.
I love these little melons. They have the flavour and texture of nashi pear.

I have a commercial grower wanting to trial them next spring so I had to hurry up and put a few more plants in so that is why they are a bit later.

I am really loving these 'Round of Hungary' capsicums. They not only look spectacular but they are sweet and fruity to taste. It makes you realise just how harsh the flavour of supermarket capsicums are.
These are great to stuff as they sit flat on a baking tray and they are not too big to put with a meal.


My little diploid potato seedlings are flowering profusely. I am excited to see what the tubers look like later. Many of them died when I got an influx of crickets who lived under the straw mulch and ate the stems. I had to push all the straw away from the stems to save the ones that survived but they are doing well now. I will have to watch that in the future.

It is a bit hard to see in this pic but I love the range of pink and purple shades in the flowers, each one is different.

I think I have about 40 plants still alive from about 200 and I hope to get about 5 that will be good enough to go on with.

These potatoes have to be hand pollinated as unlike 'common' potatoes they are not self fertile. I didn't bother pollinating them this year because I want to see what the tubers turn out like first. Next year I will do some pollinating to see what I can come up with.







2 comments:

  1. I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. You grow such an interesting variety of crops! I am planting Apple Melons this year solely because of this post. I am in Virginia in the United States, so we are just getting into Spring. I plan on trying many other plants on your blog that I don't already grow. Thank you for posting your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Susan, I love to hear from my readers. I'm sure you will love the apple melons and I hope you have a great season.

      Delete