Friday, March 17, 2017

Currant tomatoes and raised beds

I have noticed that I am starting to power down now. There is still a bit of seed to harvest - corn, capsicums and zucchini, but most of the work is over for the summer. It feels good that I don't have to rush out as soon as I can see in the morning and I now have a bit more time to do a bit of planning.

Although the business is paying for itself except for some much needed additions that have to get done at some time like finishing my seed drying facility, it is not yet making a wage. I have been thinking about how I am going to get more production going and have come to the conclusion that one person can make the business pay for itself but it needs more people to start making extra. So I have started seriously looking for a partner. I know the farm has heaps of potential and I can't fill the orders I have so I just need more help with the workload. I have an ad coming in a magazine soon and I will see if I get any interest.

 My bed of currant tomatoes are getting huge, even taking over the nearby beds. They are growing so well that they are bigger than they have ever go and bearing superbly.
The fruits are bigger than you see in the pictures from seed companies and that is normal. They seem to only choose the smallest fruit to take photos of. I could do do that myself but I don't like to lie to my customers.

These are the most delicious and sweet tomatoes you will ever taste.




The corn is starting to dry down. Since the weather is still dry I am going to try and dry it as much as I can on the plants this year as I don't have much room where there is no mice to dry it anywhere else. When my seed drying room is finished this will not be a problem.



Raised Beds

A couple of people have asked me lately why I don't use raised beds.
I realise that raised beds would have saved me from losing so many plants last winter but for me they would not work for two reasons.

1, Because most of the year is so dry I don't need to shed water. Raised beds tend to dry out more than in ground and that is opposite to what I need for most of the year. It is rare to get a winter as wet as the last so I don't really need to have better drainage.

2, Because my soil is so sandy and loose raised beds collapse quickly when the soil is worked. I have tried doing a few on one of my other blocks and found that even without working the soil it is hard to keep them intact. If my soil was heavier I would get my neighbour (an agricultural contractor)to do raised beds over the whole place but it just won't work on this property.











No comments:

Post a Comment