Sunday, February 12, 2017

Open day and saving seed from cucurbits

I am so sorry it has been so long since I updated my blog. I have to blame my sister who gets on my back when I am a bit behind, lol.


My open weekend was a big success. Almost all the people I expected to come did, nearly 100 people. Great for living in such a tiny town I think.
People came from far away like Ballarat, Narracourte and Warrnambool as well as closer towns. Thank you everyone who made the effort.

I think everyone enjoyed themselves and the weather was perfect. I sold lots of seeds and the coffee van was kept busy.


Today was the busier day and I am hoarse from all the talking. I am exhausted and looking forward to bed tonight.









There is only so much I can say about the open day so after I got home I decided to get into taking the seeds out of some 'Mini White' cucumbers that I had been meaning to get to.

It is easier to save seeds from all cucurbits by fermenting them. All you do is wait till the fruits are fully mature with tough, dark skins and even with some soft spots, then cut them in half and scoop out the seeds.
Place the seeds in a bowl and add a little bit of water if there is not much juice.

Stir them every day for about 3-4 days until there is a light foam of mould on the top. If there is a solid layer of mould on the top you should stir them more often.

Then add water to the bowl or tub and pour out the floating crap. The good seeds will sink to the bottom so they are pretty easy to separate. You will need to add water and pour off the rubbish a few times till the seeds are clean, then strain and lay them on a plate or tray in a single layer to dry for at least two weeks, or until the seeds snap when you try to bend them.

Sometimes this process can be smelly. especially with cucumbers so you might need to do this outside or in your garage, or some other spot where the smell is not going to be a problem.

You can easily save seed from melons, cucumbers, pumpkins as well as members of the tomato family this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment