Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Well, there goes my seed drying shed

After losing a couple of fillings in the last couple of weeks I decided to go to the dentist to see what is going on. I suppose I have had it too good lately and needed a bit of bad news :(

Apparently my mouth is a catastrophe waiting to happen with one tooth needing to be pulled and a couple of fillings replaced immediately. I have to find a couple of thousand dollars in the next two weeks for the first appointment with the rest of the work (most of my ancient fillings have a lot of decay under them) and another four thousand dollars done over the next two years as I can afford it.

At least this dentist, who I haven't been to before, is very thorough and explains everything that has to be done and what will happen if it doesn't.

There is no way I am going to be able to afford to finish building my seed drying shed for at least another year now. I am going to struggle to find the money just for this dental work.


If you have been ready my blog over the past couple of months you may remember that I started a trial of bush bean varieties to see which ones would cope with our hot summers.
I did lose a couple of varieties to rabbits but the experiment itself is going well. All the heat sensitive ones have died now and I have five varieties left that are doing well and bearing pods. I will list them next post but two that I do remember are 'African Premier', a dry bean,  and 'Devil Fin Precoce' a green bean with pretty striped pods.



I have learned a lesson with my mauka - don't fertilise it!!

Last year these plants did very well without fertiliser all season but I planted them all into fertilised soil this spring and now most of them have collapsed. I can't think of any other reason for the collapse.

Luckily a few stems of most of them are coming back but I suspect that I will get a VERY poor harvest. Ah well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment