Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Trip to Hollafresh herb farm

Well, I am really enjoying this weather for the last couple of weeks. Although the nights have still been around 2-3C and too cold for many of the veg to grow (we even had a light frost a few nights ago, two months past last frost date) the days have been perfect - hardly any days over 30 degrees.

Praising the weather, that is rare for me, lol.

I spent the day going to Penola to get fertiliser then weeding. With the wetter that normal weather the weeds are getting out of hand.

 On Monday I took a tour with a 11 other people to a hydroponic herb farm (factory) not too far away at Tantanoola in SA. Tantanoola is a tiny town in the middle of nowhere - not the sort of place you would expect to find a facility like this.
This place is massive, and one of the top ten largest hydroponics facilities in Australia, with glasshouses covering over a hectare each. The heating and overheads must be more than the GDP of a small country.

We looked through the glasshouses as well as the packing shed and equipment. All so high tech, makes me ashamed of my little low tech farm. That said, I would not like to farm in that way.

I was very impressed and, although I am not sure that I learned a lot, it was amazingly interesting. The owner was very happy to answer questions and open about all the facets of the hydroponics business.



















I really don't have a lot to write about today so here is a pic of a feijoa flowering. All my young, seedling grown trees are flowering at the moment so I will soon be able to select the best to keep for fruit.

I love feijoas and you can find the trees everywhere so it still surprises me how many people don't know what they are.




















No comments:

Post a Comment