Thursday, June 16, 2016

My business trip to Qld to meet my seed buyers

Well, I am finally back from seven days of driving to Queensland and back dropping off seeds and visiting my seed buyers. I learned a lot and the trip was well worth it. I got a better idea of what buyers want and how they do their business and I learned that I will have to change my plans for my seed drying room.


 When I got back I saw that my ulluco was ready to harvest. It is so beautiful.

I have three varieties and am going to see if I can force some mutations to get some other colours as I have heard that they mutate easily. We will see.

On my trip I came across a cafe called 'The Cube' it is made up of a heap of stacked shipping containers. It is an interesting concept but I can't figure out if I like it or not. I had an iced chocolate and a piece of cake there.
It is in Mudgee (NSW) if anyone is interested.



One of the interesting things about tropical and subtropical areas is that ferns and figs grow on every surface. You get plants growing on bare walls as well as poking out of every crack and on the trunks of every tree.












One of the things that confounded me is that down here we often hear about how people, mainly in Qld and NSW complain about the noise of flying foxes (for readers not in Australia, flying foxes are a large type of fruit eating bat with a wingspan as long as your arm).

Well I was in a caravan park next to a flock/group/whatever of roosting flying foxes and they sound just like a flock of small parrots like parakeets. There was nothing like the noise I expected. I think that city people are very out of touch and spoiled - how would they react if they had to live down here and have to put up with the eardrum bursting screeching of cockatoos every morning and evening.

It is difficult to see in this photo (I couldn't get close enough to them) but you can see some hanging in this tree.

Maybe coping with their poop under trees is more of a problem, especially with Hendra virus (A deadly virus carried by fruit bats) but I am not sure it can be spread that way.


 It was a bit upsetting to see many gullies totally over-run with weed, non-native vines and creepers. It really looks ugly and there is not much that can be done about it. In the towns efforts are made to clear them up with fire or herbicide but the creepers seem to spread everywhere.








And lastly, although it was too misty and wet to take pics of the mountains (it is rainforest after all) here is a quick snap of the forests just where farmland starts.
I did get a bit frustrated spending long hours driving on dangerous, narrow, very bendy roads in the mountains at 30-40km per hour to get where I was going. That is very tiring, especially if you get caught behind a caravan or truck and with sheer drops you can't pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment