Friday, April 22, 2016

Popping corn on the cob experiment and Caigua

I have not got all my broad beans planted and some are germinating, carrots and brassicas are in and all I have left to plant for the autumn is some radishes. The only serious work I have left to do now is some weeding and to spray all my seedlings tomorrow for earth mite, which are making an appearance now.

After seeing it done on Facebook I thought I would try popping some mini popcorn on the cob in the microwave. It was a bit of a fizzer.

The mini blue corn burnt before all the kernels popped but the mini reds popped ok, well the middle kernels anyway.

I am really not impressed as it is unsatisfying picking off, or chewing the popped corn off the cobs compared to scooping them out of a bowl.

Oh well, it had to be experimented with :)


The thing I love about the mini corn is that there are no hard bits in the popped corn that get in your teeth.






Today I was surprised to see that one of my seed grown figs has a fruit on it.

I bought two varieties of fig seed four or so years ago, one was 'Pink Patlican' but I forget the other. Due to a mishap while I was away the seedlings got mixed up and the labels lost so I have no idea which this one is.


I bought some Caigua (Cyclanthera pedata) seeds from two different countries last year as the one I had was too small fruited for my liking.
I only had a few seeds of one of the new varieties and the snails ate them off as soon as they germinated so I was left with this one. The fruit is nearly twice the size of my original and even though they don't seem to bear quite as well I will replace my original seeds with this one.

I am not a fan of eating them but as one of the 'Lost Crops of the Incas' that grows well here I will grow a few each year for seed, to keep my collection up to date.









No comments:

Post a Comment