Monday, March 28, 2016

Hopniss, Pumpkin pie and corn colouring

Whew, I am so busy digging beds for my winter vegetables that I don't have time to scratch my nose. My hands and back are sore and I have blisters but the new beds look nice and neat. With all this new land I think I am going to have to invest in one of those little rotary hoes.


My Hopniss (Apios americana) are starting to flower. I don't have any hope of getting seeds though as they are either sterile or have to be hand pollinated and the flowers are so fiddly that I am going to have no hope of doing that.

I love these tubers, they taste nice and are easy to grow. I have my first small commercial order for them for this winter, yay.





I have pumpkin coming out my ears so I made a couple of easy pumpkin pies a couple of days ago, one for us and one for the neighbours. Here is the recipe, it is not as sweet as American recipes so if you have an extra sweet tooth you might have to add some extra sugar:

Easy Pumpkin Pie
425g mashed pumpkin
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 9 inch premade pie crust, or home-made biscuit crumb base

Preheat oven to 220C
Whisk all ingredients until smooth and pour into crust
Bake 15 mins
Reduce temp to 180C and continue to bake for 35 mins or until knife inserted comes out clean.
Cool
Serve cold with whipped cream




I always get a lot of chinmarking (a sort of cloud burst stripe pattern) on my corn which I am selecting away from as it covers up all the other colours but it is usually only in orange (in the middle), but this year I have come across a few cobs with bright pink chinmarking. I will keep a few of those as it is quite pretty.





I have one bed of orange mini capsicums which are bearing so well that I can hardly keep up wth them. I love mini capsicums as they are so sweet and pretty.
My other colour ones didn't do well due to being on the poor soil in the new seed block and getting eaten by rabbits but next year they will be a lot better.












No comments:

Post a Comment