Friday, December 4, 2015

A walk around the blocks


With temperatures above 35c for the next 5 days or so I am not going to get anything done except watering at night so I thought I would just take a few pics this morning to keep you interested.
My sister called me up to ask a few questions about her vegetables, and she said she always thinks of me as her gardening guru, golly gosh isn't that nice. It feels good to the ego to be a guru.


My bought in seed of Painted mountain that I talked about a few posts ago is flowering even though it is so small. There are some lovely colours in it which is why I decided to buy in some more seed. All my own seed is light colours so I wanted some dark seed.

Most of the plants that are flowering are black, brown and purple, with those coloured stems. I am not sure if it a good idea to put it in with my 'normal' seed that doesn't bolt so quickly so I will keep it separate until I hear if my corn seed buyer wants it mixed in. I wouldn't risk it if I was a buyer so I am a bit annoyed by it.


Even though the plants are small I am looking forward to seeing the cobs, though I know they will not be filled well as the plants are not close enough to each other. It is very disappointing that it does not flower at the same time as my own seed so the cobs will be more colourful, but that is the way it goes. It just isn't selected for this area.


Maybe following years of mixing will stabilise it so they grow at the same rate. At least they look healthy.










 I put in a couple of rows of 'Bear Necessities' kale for seed. The internet pictures looked amazing but my plants were not showing the fine leaves so I was prepared to pull them all out as they were looking similar to siberian kale. Over the past week they have started to put out the feathery leaves so I am very happy, you just have to be patient it seems.

The parents of this kale are Red Russian kale and mizuna, and the light mustardy flavour of the leaves do show its mustard heritage. I was hoping there would not be a mustard flavour but it is not too bad and the tenderness of the raw leaves will actually be great in salads with that flavour. I think it will go ok if it is marketed well here. Mustards are not popular in Australia. Maybe it will not show the mustard flavour if grown in winter - sometimes it is heat that brings it out.


I had a tray full of potato seedlings with Toolangi Delight as the parent. That was the only potato that set fruit for me last summer. Toolangi Delight is a nice, Australian bred potato with white flesh and very lilac soloured skin that rubs off easily.

I was only going to pot up 20 of these seedlings but you know how it is, you just have to give any that seem to be trying a go, so I ended up with 30 plants in pots. Some of the more precocious ones were even putting out stolons at their small size.

I will give them three weeks in the pots to grow and them plant them out in beds.



My bed of sunflowers is about to open up. I love looking at sunflowers and the parrots love them too so I just plant them for the birds. I rationalise it by telling myself that it keeps them from looking at the corn, lol

Unfortunately it might be put to the test this year as the sunflowers are planted next to the corn. We will see.











2 comments:

  1. How did your plants grown from true potato seed go? Have you grown anything remarkable yet out of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew out 26 potato seedlings and after they matured I chose six of the best to grow next spring. I will know if any are good enough to keep next summer though I don't think any are particularly remarkable. I will grow out some more seed in the coming spring - it is fun seeing what you come up with.

      Delete