Thursday, October 1, 2015

Scary summer coming

I know I have mentioned in in my past few posts but it is getting scarier every day with unheard of high temperatures for this time of year. In the next few days the temps are set to get into the mid 30s which is two months early and the ground is already dry. I have started watering all my blocks and tomorrow I will have to start putting up my shadecloth row covers. I am very worried thinking of my water bills for the next 6 months or more.

Our bushfire risk this year is going to be worse than for the past 20 years I think over much of Australia. They have already had a catastrophic risk day in the NT.

 The warm weather has got a few plants germinating far earlier than usual. These  mouse melon seedlings from last years missed fruits should not be germinating for another couple of months but I see a heap starting to pop up now.

I have even started planting my corn a month early - got about a third of it done now. I still have about a quarter acre to go. Next year I will make a planter to make it easier.

Continuing on from my last post,  a few more of my seedling bearded iris are coming out now. Unfortunately they are all pretty plain but I there are a lot more to come later so maybe there will be something spectacular later.

I also have a few seedling gladdies coming up but I don't think they will be big enough to flower this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment