Monday, September 14, 2015

Work, work, work - spring time!!

I have been busy every day hand spreading dolomite on the seed block, then digging it in, and then planting it. My muscles are sore and I am so tired - and there is still so much left to do.
With the unusually warm weather continuing and no sign of our winter or spring rain the soil is dry so I will have to start irrigating a month early. y water bill is going to be huge. I hope it will be worth it.


Here are some rows spread but before it is dug in. I am over half way through the dolomite heap and I am thinking that I might need to buy some more to finish here as well as put on the beds in my other blocks.
The grass is just beginning to germinate and I was intending to spray it out before planting but with the early spring I have had to start sowing so I will have to cope with the grass and weeds as best I can. It is going to be a huge job this first year but it will get much easier after that.





I have had to make room in my hot house for seed trays so the young ulluco plants and tubers have been planted out in the ground.The produced quite a few small tubers over the winter while I was babying them through the cold that I think I will have a heap next winter as long as they can put up with the summer heat.

I am so excited to have these plants, and the mauka in the next pic that I can hardly hold myself, lol.



Like the ulluco, these small mauka plants have also had to go out. I have some more seeds in so I should have a few more to plant later, and I have kept a couple of plants back to grow in my shadehouse in case they don't take the summer.


3 comments:

  1. I have been looking for ulluco tubers in Australia for a long time... trying different forums. I am glad to see that you managed to get some. How are they performing? Do you know how I can get hold of some ulluco? Apparently somebody had tubers in Colac a few years ago but it's no longer available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were hard to come by. So far the plants are doing ok and as long as they get through our scorching summer I might have a few for sale next winter.

      Delete
  2. That would be great. I really hope they can make it as I've heard this summer is going to be too hot due to El Nino.

    ReplyDelete