Thursday, July 16, 2015

Winter veggies

Yeah, I know. It has been a couple of weeks but really, nothing much happens over winter. Last post I think I was telling you how I was going to visit some friends which I did. It is great to see people that I only get to see once a year when things slow down. It really makes you appreciate them.

Over the last week, and with another week to go we have been having the coldest weather we have had in my whole life. This is the third day where we have not got to 10C which hasn't happened since I was a kid. It has even been snowing in Queensland.


 When I got back one of the first things I noticed was that the parrots had stripped every seed off my Purple Peacock broccoli that I needed for seed. Oh well, I do have enough to grow another couple of rows in spring.

I will have to net it next time, especially as the parrots are learning now that there is often seeds on my blocks. I will have to almost net my whole new block because of the huge amount of parrots and pigeons that congregate there. It is by the river so many birds go there to roost.

Most of my garlic is looking fine. It is amazing to see how the different varieties grow different from each other. They are moslty looking like this one but the worst performer this year is Dynamite purple which is looking quite sick and scrawny.








The best looking variety by far this year is the Mexican Stripe which is tall, healthy and not fussed with the cold weather at all.








The crimson flowered broad beans are looking fantastic and the red flowers really stand out among the other green plants. Like everything they have been getting beaten by the earth mites but a few soap sprays has them looking ok.
They won't start setting pods till later in spring so I have months of pretty flowers to look at.

I have started on the watering system for the new seed block and have also started planting some rows of yacon and rhubarb.
I will take some pictures for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment