Sunday, April 12, 2015

Random musings

I was going to post last night, but everything is purring along nicely and I don't have anything interesting to report, so I nearly didn't bother tonight either.

I suppose the only thing I have been doing over the past couple of days, besides the never ending weeding, is thinking about where I am going to go from here as far as the business goes.
Over the past few months I have occasionally mentioned how I am going to concentrate on seeds more than fresh veg and it seems to be the way to go. I think I will start being a seed farm instead of a market garden but I cannot think of a good logo, hmmm
Garden Larder - rare seeds for home food growers    Hmmm, doesn't really have a memorable ring to it. I will have to work on it. I would be happy to hear other ideas.

I don't know if I can really afford it but I have started putting the word out that I would like to lease a few acres on the edge of town to consolidate my gardens, and grow the business. I will see if it will be doable if I get any offers. The main problem is that I will hardly have any income off it for the first year after doing all the beds, planting and then waiting for plants to flower and set seed. And I would need all the money I have to get it going and won't have much to pay a lease with.

More land will be harder as far as my time and effort goes but I would be able to grow more and also do some more work on some breeding projects I would like to start. Even if I had the money, or someone was generous enough to offer land with the first year rent free, I am not sure I could physically do all the work myself, and I doubt there would be enough money in it, at least for the first couple of years to interest a working partner.

More thinking to do I recon.



4 comments:

  1. I don't think there is any legal crop that will give more income from a small plot of land than vegetable seeds. Breeding new varieties makes it both more interesting and adds value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Bill. Seed is definitely looking to be the best earner for me. I am work on my paperwork and procedures to be a bit more professional but things are looking up.

      Delete
  2. Rowan, I have been dithering with the same thing here on my farm. I only make enough money farming if I have 20 regular customers. However, I cannot do the work myself for 20. The cost to hire someone, eats up most of the income.

    I looked into doing seeds here, but the regulations and fees are pretty stiff. There's a bunch of registration forms, and they are only good for one state. So, I'm trying to rethink.

    When I started going to the farmer's market, there was little competition. I was the "ONLY" organic farmer. I used to sell out every week. Now everyone's organic. The fees at the market used to be $25 a week. Now they want $35 and a percentage of what you sell every week. On top of that there are now state and county fees.

    But I did have a thought. No one at my market does flour. Not corn, bean or wheat. Nothing. I've been looking at a bicycle setup for grinding corn. I've been thinking of doing a big field of corn and bringing all the tools to shell and grind to the market and letting kids do their own. (Circus meets farmer's market)?
    Artisan corn meal from Authentic Foodways is going for $5.95 per 12 oz. I grew a heritage corn from NZ that yield 38 pounds from 100 plants. The ground blue corn ground very easily. I think it's a sweet corn there. It makes lovely corn flour.

    The only issue that I can see regarding this project is that you need to plant the corn this season to use at the market next season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful that we don't have the draconian seed regulations that some other countries do :(

      Doing flours is a great idea. You have to use a bit of imagination to find niches that will help boost income but thinking of new ideas is what small farmers do.

      Delete