Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Licorice troubles and selling seed

Today I called up a small, Australian heritage seed business (Eden seeds) as they are always looking for people to grow seeds for them. I figured that if I had a business who wanted to buy any seeds I produce then it might be easier to find someone who will be willing to lease me some land.
Anyway I had a phone interview with them to find out what I knew about growing veg and saving seeds which was great, and I was happy to find that they also mentioned parent selection, the questions were not as detailed as I would ask if I was getting someone to grow seed for me, but good all the same.

They seemed very interested. I don't know if growing seed for a seed company pays well, I doubt it, but it might just get my foot in the door, both to find land to lease, and to convince a bank to lend me money if I want to buy land later. And, of course, it will give me some great experience with growing on a larger scale.

They are sending me a letter outlining the seeds they need and what they will pay and other details for growing for them. I was upfront with the fact that I already grow and sell my own seed and that is not a problem for them, I think it actually went in my favour. I also told them I would not be ready to start growing anything for them until spring if the terms were satisfactory so that gives me a few months to work out if I can actually get somewhere to grow them, assuming it all works out.

I hope I am not getting myself out of my depth here but I am at a stage that I have to take a chance even though I don't have any money. Maybe I will find someone generous enough to give the first years rent free, or maybe come up with a land sharing/sharefarming type of agreement. I don't even know where to start there.


My licorice (liquorice) plants have died down now so I dug them up to see if the roots were any good. If you had been reading this blog last year you will have read that I tried chewing on a root but I didn't find it very good so I decided to give the plants one more year before making a decision on whether to pull them out or not.

Well the first thing I noticed when digging is that the twisty roots go almost straight down instead of horizontally, which made it very difficult digging, even in my sand as they are very tough and fibrous.

Anyway, to the taste. The roots taste a bit sweet and sacchariny but there was no hint of an actual licorice taste.
These plants have gone on the waste heap so I can use the bed for something productive. That was a waste of three years.










3 comments:

  1. Rowan,
    re seed growing: not sure if you are aware of this site , particularly the costings and stuff - excellent information. We should talk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, blogger didn't like the link, I'll message you on HG,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://goingtoseed.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/how-i-started-selling-seeds/
    For anyone who would like to copy and paste this link. It is educational and inspiring. Thank you Templeton.

    ReplyDelete