Sunday, March 29, 2015

Taste testing Yautia (Xanthosoma sagittifolium)

Tomorrow I start on the second greenhouse and thankfully I have a friend (maybe two) coming over to help. Hopefully this time it will take only a day or so to finish it, and even, maybe, I might be able to put it all together properly, lol.

As you can see from this picture from my last post I have four raised beds to move to fit in the new greenhouse next to the first one.

I got stuck into those today after I got back from a little market this morning. It didn't take as long as I thought to dig up the plants and put them in pots, then find the resident blue-tongue lizard that lives in one and move it to my shadehouse.

Now the area is bare and ready for the new greenhouse.


The plants I dug out of the raised beds were pepinos, yautia and achira (all from South America). The yautia plants (xanthosoma sagittifolium) were young but two were old enough to have small tubers which I took inside to cook and taste.

I left the tubers on the kitchen bench and my mother found them, chopped them up and put them in the oven to roast.

While they were fresh and raw I put my tongue on them to check for calcium oxalate crystals which some similar looking plants have but there was no painful needles in my mouth. I have read that yautia lacks this so I was happy. When it was cooked I tasted it again and it was pleasantly nutty. THEN, the needles started. This is strange because cooking is supposed to nutralise the calcium crystals in plants that have them. I am going to have to do some more research as I cannot find any reference to yautia having this problem.

I will try boiling the couple of left over raw pieces tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't I will have to think about where I want to keep the plants or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment