Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Early garlic and Chilean Guava

I've been getting a lot of work done over the last couple of days. Getting beds read and I have had to top up the soil wetter as I doubt we will be getting any rain soon and the ground has been getting quite water resistant lately.
Tomorrow I think I will take a drive into Mt Gambier but the next day I will get stuck into sowing the winter veg.

 Yesterday I was surprised to see that most of the beds of garlic are showing new shoots already. It is over a month early and I hope this is not a bad sign or something. Maybe the extra long growing year will have them getting huge, well, we'll see.

Usually I let the garlic beds sit without watering them until the rains bring them up but as they are shooting I will have to start watering them.

I put in a lot of garlic this year, not the half acre I wanted but still plenty for selling next summer.



Tomorrow I will have to pick the fruit on my Chilean Guava (Ugni molinae). It is ready and covered in fruit.
I will have enough this year to eat as well as collect seed. I usually sow the seed immediately to have young plants to sell but I will have to look up to see if the seed can be dried and kept for seed packets.

I love these tiny fruit ( they are only as big as peas) but they don't make it into the house as I eat them as I pick them.

No comments:

Post a Comment