Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Harvest time is ramping up

I am busy at the moment harvesting seed from many plants. I have many buckets of seed pods to clean sitting out on the table under the back veranda - hamburg parsley, vivid choi, carrots, silverbeet and purple peacock broccoli, as well as some tomatoes. Well, that will give me something to do for the next few days when it will be too hot to do anything outside.

 I have two varieties of ground cherries but I am not going to grow 'Golden' any more as 'Aunt Molly' tastes so much better. This is Aunt molly pictured.

I have just crushed a heap of fruit and put them aside to ferment so I can get the seeds out of them.

The only thing I don't like about this ground cherries is that they seed all over the place, you only have to plant them once, and you will have seed from missed fruit coming up all over the garden for years to come. You have to be dilligent every year to pull them up as you see them or they will become a weed, not only in your garden, but for your neighbours too.


I have also put a container of wild currant tomatoes (Solanum pimpinellifolium) out to ferment for seed.

These tiny tomatoes are so sweet and tasty that if you don't eat sugar these would be the closest thing you would have to lollies. I pick a handful every time I go out watering that block and eat them as I go. They are very yummy.
The bushes are straggly but they look great covered with fruit. I think this is the perfect fruit for a kids garden.


Only one of my liquorice (or licorice) plants (Glycyrrhiza glabra) produced seed pods this year.
I have picked them then spent yesterday afternoon laboriously picking out the seeds from the prickly little pods. At least I have them all done now, but I will have to find a better way next year.

This winter I will be digging up the plants and I hope the roots are bigger than I expect them to be, and that they taste good.

The good thing about this plant is that propagation is easy, you just replant pieces of root.







No comments:

Post a Comment