Saturday, January 3, 2015

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Well after only two days of over 40c and still months of summer to go everything is looking burnt and sad already. The hot winds didn't help but I thought everything would stand up to it better than it did.

The corn, which I thought would come through the best is withered and shrivelled, and it was watered just like everything. The heat if it keeps up like this will dry out the corn flowers so they won't pollinate so I think that is going to be a right off this year. Only the Portuguese cabbage is not looking too bad. I am not sure how I am going to cope with the rest of summer, another three months or scorching hot weather.

I have decided that with the summers getting longer and hotter it will be a waste of resources to continue trying to grow the variety of veg that I do so, no matter how hard and sorrowful it is, I will cut down to my few favourites in summer and grow garlic, rhubarb and a few other things during the rest of the year. I am still not quite convinced that I will be able to sell all the garlic I grow but I can't think of anything else.

I will grow what is cost effective and try to make more money of other things, like going back to washing windows and repairing fly screens with the veg as a sideline.

Maybe I will feel more upbeat tomorrrow.

And the good... well my first sunflowers are out. They always look sunny and fun. I will take a picture tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment