Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sunflowers and heat defying avocados

I am loving this bit of rain today, and we are expecting more in the next couple of days. It helped get all the bushfires under control and I hate to think what would have happened if it didn't rain.

It isn't a lot but at least it will give the plants a rest.

Strangely, my two young avocados have been fine with the heat and hot winds yet the fig that is only three metres away looks like someone has been at it with a flame thrower.

 It is really weird how you expect, and read, that some plants tolerate or don't tolerate certain conditions but when you experiment it doesn't work out how you think it will. I goes to show the value of checking things out for yourself.


This is my poor Preston prolific fig. Its leaves nearly all burnt in the hot winds and fell off.

Talking of figs, when I was in a nearby town on Saturday I came across a fig in a backyard. It had the hugest, oval-shaped white fruit on it that I have ever seen. I picked one to eat and it was sweet, but not too sweet and cloying. Absolutely delicious as a fresh eating fruit.
Anyway, I picked a couple of cuttings to grow and I will have to do some research now to find out the cultivar.
At least the sunflowers are enjoying the heat. They are looking very sunny and always make me feel happy when I look at them. I really should have planted more.
















No comments:

Post a Comment