Friday, January 30, 2015

Amazing pink fir apple potatoes

I have been busy today harvesting stuff for the new Portland farmers market. It is a long way to travel so I have filled my van up to the brim with stuff, I only hope now that I don't come home with it all. My sister says that it is time for another 'selfie' so I will get someone to take a pic of me at my tables tomorrow, hmmm, must remember to pack my camera.

 I dug my 'sales' bed of Pink Fir Apple potatoes for the market. I was really surprised to see that they have grown bigger than they have ever been for me. It was a better quality soil in that bed so that could be the reason.

These are one of my favourite potatoes, they are VERY productive, taste superb and are so easy to grow anywhere. They are best, in my opinion, used as salad spuds but are also good roasted. Usually you would serve them whole but at this size they would be a bit big to do that.

It is a very old French variety with pink skin and waxy, yellow flesh. I like to dig them when small and use them as new potatoes in salads or just with our other veg. One reason I like to use them when small is that they get a bit knobbly as they grow and harder to peel so are best as unpeeled new spuds.

 I was mentioning the fact that my Tromboncino pumpkins (also known as 'Zucca di albenga' among a dozen other names) always produce flowers that point down to the ground so they have to be hand pollinated as they don't open properly and insects can't get in them. It was suggested by others that theirs don't have flowers that do this so I wonder where this trait started.

I have to admit that it is a very annoying thing as I have to go out every morning to pollinate them. It would be a good trait to keep rain and dew out of them, but the male flowers stand upright as they should so that doesn't help as they are often full of water themselves.

Maybe I will buy another packet of seed so I can get plants that don't do this.

This is a great plant as you can eat the fruit immature as zucchini, or wait till they are ripe and they are similar to butternut pumpkin in taste and texture. And, of course, they have the most amazing shape. They can get long and twisted with the seeds in the bulb at the end which makes them easy to cut and use.

No comments:

Post a Comment