Sunday, December 7, 2014

Turnip cabbage review

Well, I had my open day today and I am exhausted. Only half as many people turned up as I expected, half as much as told me they were coming. Oh well it was still a great day and I think everyone went home pleased.

Unfortunately I was so busy talking that I forgot to take any pictures. I hope I can get some from someone else.

I picked one on my rare turnip cabbages (Naone Rosse Antica Trentino) to show everyone. It was still fairly small but I was keen to try it anyway.

It was heart shaped and had a lot of extra roots but I am not sure if the extra roots are normal or not until I know the variety better.

The rest I will leave to get to a more head size as in the pictures I have seen.




After tidying up I brought the cabbage in and cut it in half. It is pure white inside.

I tasted some raw and was instantly surprised by the soft and creamy texture. It tasted like a mix of cabbage and kohlrabi with an overtone of swede. It was pleasant and many people would like it.

I steamed and microwaved a couple of pieces and the swede overtone went away and the flavour was more mild. I found it very pleasant to eat even without any butter or other sauce.

I think this vegetable will go very well on my stall and am looking forward to saving some seed to offer.





5 comments:

  1. I was glad to find someone who has grown these. I just bought some from Baker Creek on a whim and was looking for any growing information about them to give them the best shot possible.
    How are your unharvested ones doing? How long did it take for you to grow it that big?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting John. These are very easy to grow, just as easy as 'normal' cabbages and kale.
    I have just finished harvesting the bed that was for eating and still have the seed bed which should go to seed in spring (Australian time). The one here was harvested at 3 months but leaving them for an extra month puts quite a bit more size on them.

    I am loving them more and more and they are definitely going to be permanent part of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply.

    Like you, I enjoy trying to grow odd plants, but, unlike you, I'm in a temperate climate (US zone 5). I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. A brassica should be fine.

    Did you have any concerns about cross pollination for saving seed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this from Baker Creek, but it doesn't come with germination info. Did you treat it like cabbage and start it indoors 6-8 wks before last frost? Or directly in the garden in spring like turnips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just grow it like you would any cabbage. I can't comment on your growing conditions but if you plant it when you would normally plant your cabbage you should be ok.

      Delete