Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Oh my gourd, its that time again!!

My giant kettle gourd I grew last year has finally dried out and is ready for work. It was too slow drying to be able to get its seeds and plant them so that is for next year. These gourds are so big that each plant can only produce one fruit.

I decided to make another ornamental vase with this one with an oak design.

I spent sunday drawing the design. It is an autumn design with autumn oak leaves and acorns.

The leaves and branches will be coloured in after all the carving is done.






I have started the first cutting out of the design which should be finished in a couple more days.
Then comes the carving of all the individual leaves, branches and acorns, with a couple of dragonflies added in for some interest.

Then I will partially colour it in with water pencils, finish the other decorations and seal it. Boy this is a big project.

I love the look of the natural dried gourds so I don't paint them, just let the natural colours show through.

I love working with gourds as anyone can make things out of them, you don't have to have a lot of tools or skill. I didn't put many in this year as the plants grow so big and use so much ater that I can never get my money back on the fruits, they are just not cost effective, so I am just growing them for myself, with a few left over to sell or decorate my stall tables with.

I can already tell that this is going to look spectacular when it is finished.

I am not sure if I will post again before Christmas, so if I don't, MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment