Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Beautiful rain

I am so happy. Today it thundered and showered all day. We didn't get much rain, only 13mm (half an inch) but after my watering last night all the plants are looking very happy. A bit of natural rain makes a lot of difference.

 Here is a pic of our back yard in the rain today. I have been expecting the grass to have died off by now with the heat and dry weather but it is still hanging on. I think I will have to mow it again before it dies off for the summer.

My Chinese yams in the raised bed are growing well. next year they should be big enough to form tubules on the stems. You can also eat the main tubers but they are fragile and a hassle to dig but the stem tubules are only as big as peas but produced well and people say that a single plant can produce a bucket full. They are cooked just like peas and are supposed to taste a bit like potatoes but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I have got a couple more plants out in the garden. If I was growing on a heavier soil I wouldn't put them out in the beds as they would not be easy to dig up and any bit of tuber in the ground will sprout again but as I am on sand I think I should be able to get the tubers out well.


lastly here is a picture of some of my dried gourds from last year, just for the heck of it.

I had a bad year and only a few plants grew so I was lucky to get any gourds at all. I was going to put in more this year but didn't get around to it so I only have 5 plants growing, or trying to grow, like my melons they are growing very slowly this year.

I must take some time to make a couple of things with these. Hmmm, I will think about it tonight.







No comments:

Post a Comment