Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Feijoa and zucchini mutterings

It has been perfect weather for working in the gardens, and the veggies are growing well. I have now harvested the last of the broad beans and garlic, and have replanted with all sorts of things from melons to amaranth.
I am still having trouble with things eating off all the seedlings that germinate and have found out that it is mostly sparrows doing it. I can't afford to buy bird netting for all the beds, and the storage trouble when I don't need it, so I am planting more seed than I need in the hope that I can get some crop from missed seedlings.

My seedling feijoas are 4 years old and some have started to flower this year.
As well as being pretty, the sepals of the flowers are edible and great in salads for a bit of colour.

Feijoas are one of my favourite fruits. They are delicious just scooped out with a spoon and eaten. I have never cooked with them but I assume they could be used in the same sort of recipes as apricots.
When my trees are bigger and producing more fruit I will try out some recipes.

If you want to grow your own feijoa remember to wait till the fruit falls, then store it in the kitchen for a few days till the fruity aroma develops, then they are ripe.

Here is a picture of some Gippsland Giant broad bean pods, just for the heck of it. This bean produces large pods containing large seeds which have a slightly better flavour than the common Aquadulce variety which I have usually grown up till now.

As you know if you have been reading this blog, I put in four varieties of broad bean this year and will continue to do so to give my customers a variety of seeds. So far my favourite is Crimson flowered because of the wonderful taste, even for bean haters like me.


A couple of my melons have just started flowering so soon I will be busy every morening with hand pollinating.
Some of the zucchini have also been flowering so I will be run over with them also.

Last year I grew a zuccini that turned out quite ugly so I kept some seeds just to see what the results of planting them would turn out like.
So far it looks like most of the plants will have different shaped and coloured fruits so the grandmother plant was obviously a hybrid. It is very interesting and I will take a pic of all the different fruits together later. I hope at least one is superior in taste.

There are so many zucchini vareities out there and they mostly taste the same to me so this is just an excersize in curiosity rather than a quest for a new and better variety to offer. I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment