Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Chufa and turkey rhubarb

With two hot days (tomorrow is expected to be 37 C) I have all the bed covers up and all the plants are happy. Next year I hope to have all the beds under shadecloth but at least I have enough to grow veg throughout the summer.

All the information I have says that chufa (Cyperus esculentus,var. sativus) won't survive the winter but that must be for winters that are not as mild as here.
This is chufa coming up through a kale bed. I will keep growing it in the same beds so it doesn't become a pest.
Luckily chufa doesn't produce seeds and the tubers are held close to the plant so it can become as much of a weed as its close relative Yellow Nutsedge, but I think you would not want it to get started in a lawned area just the same.

I bought a couple of young Turkey rhubarb (Rheum palmatum) plants a couple of weeks ago. This is a giant ornamental rhubarb but it is supposed to be better tasting than 'common' rhubarb.
Although the roots are used for medical purposes I am only interested in the leaf stalks for eating. I guess that because it is a large type that it would not produce as many leaves as the common variety, I am hoping that the size of the stalks will make up for that.At least it will look impressive, lol.



2 comments:

  1. Hi rowan,
    I have stumbled onto your blog as I have become interested in chufa. How did you find it to grow? and have you used it a lot in the kitchen? It sounds nutritionally too good to be true!!
    Cheers
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only my second season growing it and I didn't grow enough last year to eat much. I did try some raw, cooked and in horchata and enjoyed them. They are very easy to grow and tasty and with their nutrition they should be on the list for all permaculturalists in my opinion.

      Delete