Thursday, October 9, 2014

My planned open day, and 'The easiest veg to grow for black thumbs'

Today was a pretty busy day with having to water all my blocks, then after a conversation with a Facebook permaculture friend, deciding to have an open day on the 7th December. I have been thinking of doing it for a while and trying to decide on the best date to show my blocks at their best. So... I was busy putting a couple of hundred assorted plants in pots to sell on the day, as well as having some for the Hamilton Nursery.

Here are some of the plants I have been potting up. I will do a heap more tomorrow also. I might have to buy another carton of pots as well.

I really hope the plants sell well, it will be a good top up to the bank balance, especially as I am planning to replace my current polyhouse with a polycarbonate one in the Autumn next year. It will look much neater and I am getting sick of buying new plastic covers when they rip in the wind.

I will start advertising the open day soon.

My little American Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) seedlings are starting to come out now. Now that they are shooting out I will put them into individual pots. It is best to transplant these when they start coming into leaf.

I have a few of last years seedlings in larger pots but they are so slow growing when young that I will keep them in their pots for another year.

BTW, those are some pepino cuttings in the background, just ignore them.


All my beans are coming up today. These are some bush purple snake beans but I also have in climbing snake beans and blue speckled tepary beans.
I think I will sow another bed of snake beans tomorrow. They sell really well at markets and are stringless and tasty.
I have to keep wire netting on them at this stage to keep the starlings from pulling them up.






The easiest vegetables to grow

Here is a list of the most foolproof vegetables that almost anyone can grow, as long as you look after them and have the right climate. They are fairly pest and disease resistant and can cope with a bit of neglect. Of course, the better you look after them the better they will produce, but these will smile on you even if you have a black thumb.

Asparagus: These plants can cope with a bit of drought and have hardly any pests or problems in my garden. As long as you can keep them free of weeds they will hang on and produce spears for decades with little fuss.

Potatoes: Just throw them in the ground and forget about them, except for the occasional watering in summer they will just sit there until you go digging around for spuds. Tough and hearty plants that will get some pest problems but will usually outgrow them if you ignore it.

Garlic: is another plant that you can just set and forget. They are so tough that you can often find it growing where houses have been pulled down years ago.

Tomatoes: You might laugh but if you throw a rotten tomato on a bit of rough ground or in the vegetable patch you will have tough little plants popping up every year. Just give them the occasional water in summer and you are set. Cherry tomatoes seem to be the toughest.

Silverbeet: This is a tough plant that just keeps going and going. It will put up with all sorts of abuse.

Radishes: Although they get nibbled by a few pests they are so fast growing that they will often be ready to pick before they get over-run with weeds. Great for if you don't have a great attention span, and you don't weed often enough.

Rhubarb: Give this plant a moist but drained area (like near a tap or tank overflow) and it will sit there producing heaps of stems to cook, you rarely need to even check on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment