Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hosta and garlic bulbils

Sorry for not updating this blog for a few days. With the nice weather we have been having lately I have been out till dark working and I just don't want to bother updating when I get in tired. I might have to start doing it when I come in for a break during the day.

 I have bought a few hosta plants to see if they are worth growing as a vegetable. I am impressed with my first taste today. The shoot was very tender and tasted like a cross between green bean and asparagus.
You should pick the shoots when they are young and still furled because they go a bit bitter when they are more mature. I think they will be nice in a leafy green salad.

Apparently they can also be cooked. When I have a few spare shoots (the plants are still small) I will try them steamed with my other vegetables.
I have noticed that where I grew chufa last year there are a few shoots coming up from tubers that were left in the ground. I was under the impression that they don't survive winters but that must be for places with harsh winters because I already have a half dozen up.

I will have to keep an eye on that because even though they don't flower and aren't as much of a weed as nutgrass, they could still be a potential problem if not controlled. I will keep you informed.



All that I have read online and in books about garlic bulbils is that they don't start to produce cloves for two or three years but these Monaro Purple bulbils that I threw in a tub in the autumn are producing cloves already.
Of course the ones that are crowded where I just threw the head in the ground only have the outside ones big enough to do this but the individual ones are bigger.

Just another reason to love this variety. With this advantage I will be able to build up my stocks quickly.

Sorry, no article today, I am just too tired and I have a meeting to get ready for.

No comments:

Post a Comment