Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Baby goat and what edibles to plant in shady places

Since I forgot to take the camera out today I thought I would share a couple of photos of my sisters baby goat.

 You will recall a couple of weeks ago me talking about my sisters doe having her kids under the house. Since the offspring of this goat tend to be flighty, nervous buggers my sister decided to take the female kid and hand feed it to try and make it friendlier.

Of course they had to bring it with them when they came to visit so I took a couple of pictures. The baby goats name is Sage.

This is my little niece feeding Sage.

With all the bad luck they have had with the offspring of that doe, I really hope this one turns out ok. The Doe 'Babette' is the most loving and highest milking goat I have ever seen so they need another female to take over just an case anything ever happened to her.




Edibles to plant in the shade

I often hear people say that their garden has a shady area that they can't grow vegetables in, because veggies need full sun as the books tell them.
That is mainly true in the Northern hemisphere but here where the summer sun will fry anything that shows its face many actually prefer a bit of shade, especially in the afternoon.

As many of you know by now, much of my veg are grown under shadecloth in the summer now but there are a heap of fruit and veg that will love the south side of your house, or between the fence and your house or shed. The shade should not be too deep but dappled or through the afternoon at least.
Here are a few I can think of right now.

Lettuce and most quick growing leafy veg: These prefer afternoon sun, especially lettuce which will go bitter if they get too hot.

Chilean Guava: This bush produces tiny, delicious berries and needs shade.

Alpine strawberries: a cool, moist spots suits these little clumpers perfectly.

Oca: a tuberous vegetable from South America

Yacon: Another tuberous vegetable from South America that produces sweet tubers that are eaten raw.

Cucumbers: Prefer afternoon sun as both the fruit and the plants fry easily.

Rhubarb: Loves a cool, moist spot with afternoon shade.

Hardy Kiwifruit: These vines will love a shady fence to grow on.

Hazelnuts: Prefer afternoon shade

Finger lime: Love dappled shade

American Pawpaw: An unusual fruit tree that prefers a bit of shade, especially when young.

Soft leaved herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment