Saturday, September 13, 2014

Todays update

Apart from a little potting I haven't been up to much these last few days. Trees are popping out in flower and leaf all over the place and things are warming up. We have had a couple of light frosts but nothing as bad as usual for this time of year though.
My lotus root came yesterday and I have it sitting in a bucket of water inside till I am more confident that we won't have more frosts. I am excited to grow lotus as I love cooking the tubers and I can't buy any unless I go to Melbourne. It just isn't offered in supermarkets around here.

Today I went to the Portland market. I don't have anything to sell in veg so I am trialling a few other novelties and things to go to markets with at this time of year. Nothing is selling well but maybe I am just used to selling out when I take veg. I just have to hit on something that sells well and no-one else is offering. That is the hard part.
I have another little market at Coleraine tomorrow so maybe that will be better. I think I will put more plants in pots and sell them instead when the veg is low.

I have a heap if seedlings germinating so in a couple of weeks I will be able to plant them in their waiting beds. Tomorrow I will start sowing my tomato seed, already people are asking me for heritage seedlings so I need to get off my butt. I didn't save many tomato seeds last year since it was such a bad year for them but I will have to save more this season as more and more people are asking for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment