Friday, August 1, 2014

Cold and wet, and it won't be getting better anytime soon

Sorry I haven't posted for the last three days. The weather has been very cold and wet and I haven't been able to do anything. Today the temperature didn't even get to 8 degrees which has been the coldest daily maximum since I was a kid. Brrrrrrrr

Apart from the cold and rain, the wind was gale force for a couple of days but didn't do a lot of damage except to my polyhouse door which was wrecked. Luckily it was just an old screen door so I will replace it soon.



 Three days ago I ordered some straw bales. After one was delivered it started to rain so the guy won't be able to deliver the rest to the blocks without getting bogged. He will have to bring them after we get a week or more of nice weather but I don't know when that will be as August and September are our wettest months.

I like to get them out just before rain so it gets wet on the beds and too heavy for the starlings to spread about. I will finish spreading out this bale in the next few days between showers.


The back block is now a swamp. I am going to be up to my knees in mud as I spread the straw but it has to be done. I hate bogging up the ground though.

Luckily I don't have a lot in the beds there at the moment but I am worried about the two beds of garlic. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it now.





Today it was so cold that my parents went over to the Grampians to see the snow on the mountains. The Grampians are pretty puny compared to other mountains in Australia, and certainly to mountains overseas, but they are nice to hike in and explore.

The road had so much snow on it that my mother was too worried to go far so they just took some pictures out the car windows and came home.












No comments:

Post a Comment