Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Black garlic and shepherds pie

Today was a bit of a slack day for me. Apart from putting out a little straw I didn't get much done at all. I went to Hamilton to do some odd jobs and remembered that I have been wanting to have a go at making my own black garlic (look it up). So I bought a cheap rice cooker and 3 bulbs of garlic to see how it goes.
The best way to make it, so I read, is to wrap each bulb in foil with a teaspoon of water, put a cup or so of water in the bottom of the rice cooker, then switch it onto 'keep warm'.

It takes about 4 weeks to ferment but the end result is supposed to be amazing.

You must do this outside because of the strong garlic smell at first so I have mine sitting out on top of the air conditioner unit, which thankfully, has a spare power plug next to it.

I know this will take quite a bit of electricity but if you can make a big batch at a time it should be worth it, especially considering the cost of commercially bought black garlic.

Since I didn't do anything else worth taking pictures of I will show you some of my parents cyclamen that they grow from seed.

I usually take a few to sell on my tables at the markets for mum.







I made a shepherds pie this afternoon. I have to admit that it turned out beautifully so I just had to show it off.















No comments:

Post a Comment