Thursday, July 17, 2014

Ok, I'm back

I am now back from visiting my sister and her family for a few days. Now ready to get back into it but I didn't have time to take any pics so you will have to wait till tomorrow for some.

While I was away and just before I was doing some research into growing garlic on a commercial scale. I spoke to a couple of growers, and someone who used to grow garlic and has now stopped.
It looks like garlic is still a good crop to grow but the returns are not quite as good as some growers suggest, it all depends on your marketing of course. I am still deciding whether to go for retail or wholesale but I will decide later.

The lady who stopped growing said it was only because of the high workload in growing it, especially the weeding. I think that I will plant it next autumn but not organically as I will have to spray the ground with round-up a couple of times before planting to keep the weeds down, that is the only way I will be able to grow it with the time and energy I have as just one person. I will also mulch between the rows.

I will write a longer post tomorrow. I have to go now to help my mother with our TV retune as she has lost her favourite channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment