Saturday, July 12, 2014

I've been doing some thinking - wow that hurts

After taking my tax stuff into the accountant and shaking my head while doing the paperwork, I realise that I am going to have to make some changes to how I am doing things. I should be making more income than I am, at least coming even, which I am not, so I have been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days.

With such a small amount of land I have decided to concentrate on the veggies that pay for themselves and drop a lot of the others. I will still grow a range of unusual veg but not as much as I would like if I had more land.
I am going to concentrate on these vegetables:

Oca
Yacon
Carrots
Garlic
Silverbeet
Seed potatoes
Amaranth
Rhubarb

I will also plant snow peas and broad beans between crops for the nitrogen. Although I love growing melons they will be mostly dropped because they are not cost effective on a small plot.

I am doing some research and may plant 1/2 an acre of garlic next autumn. I would like to do an acre but I doubt I will be able to afford the stock bulbs to start with. My brother-in-law will let me use half an acre of his land to try this on and I will pay him with part of the profits.
I am waiting for a couple of other small garlic growers to call me back tonight so I can quiz them on growing and markets.


No comments:

Post a Comment