Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Results from my oca seedlings

I harvested the tubers from my seedling oca and had a good range of tuber colours. They were all in little pots which is why there were so few tubers but when I get them in the ground in the spring I will be able to make judgements on them come harvest this time next year.
I will be not only judging their tuber production but also trying to find some taste variations also. Not sure if they have much natural variation in taste though.

I love the bright colour of seedling number one which is very similar to a variety called 'Hopin'.

Plant number 4 produced lots of stem tubers and I am not sure yet whether this is a good thing or not at the moment.







The bottom pot is full of at least a dozen very small seedlings that I won't disturb until I plant the very tiny tubers in spring.

I am so excited to find out what the mature plants will be like and might buy in some more seeds over the winter just to keep the interest going.

I hope I eventually get some good new varieties and with these coming from good flowering parents I might be able to harvest some seed myself this coming season.

I harvested the one bed of oca that survived the summer and although many of the plants on the edge of the bed lost their tubers to mice, the centre ones produced well at over a kg of tubers each. I will sell the eating sized ones at the market at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment