Sunday, April 13, 2014

Kurrajong and corn

I went to the Sandford market today but another market was also on only 30km away which was bigger (it's not hard to be bigger than Sandford, lol) so half the stallholders and all the public went over there. It was as quiet as a cemetery. Oh well, I sold $66 worth of veg and have some left to take around to the neighbours tomorrow. Lucky I didn't take much or it would have been wasted.

I have just picked all my black waxy (glutinous) corn and will let the stalks die, then plant peas up them. It is handy to have that ready-made climbing frame.

The black waxy is the only corn I had any luck with this year, probably because I have been growing it for a few years and it is adapted to my climate. Most of the rest didn't get pollinated because of the summer heat that dried out the silks and tassels as soon as they emerged.

I have been picking these cobs (saving some for seed) and chewing on them as I water and work. I like fresh, raw corn and these are surprisingly sweet for a cooking corn, and for mature cobs. They are mostly used for grilling and thickening dishes as they have a special protein that thickens better than other corn types. They have a chewy texture.

When you pick sweetcorn for eating you pick it in the 'milky' stage, where if you stick your finger nail into a kernel it will seep a white fluid. Unfortunately the coloured sweetcorn looks fantastic but you have to pick it for eating before the colours come out, they are only colourful when ripe/mature.
If you are picking for seed you wait till the outside leaves of the cob are brown then pick it and dry inside.


I pulled up a kurrajong seedling today at the six month mark. I was going on the growth of their cousins, baobab trees but it seems that kurrajongs are much slower to get to eating size.

Baobabs can be pulled at 4-5 months but it will take longer for these.This is one of the bigger plants and it is only barely a size that can be eaten.

Anyway, I peeled and cooked it (steamed til tender), then served it with butter as they are a bit bland on their own. It was delicious but I think it would have been better with a sauce or in a stir-fry.

I will pull one a month till I find out the best age where they are eating size but before they go woody. I must go and inspect the town trees to see if this years seeds are ripe yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment