Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tiny Tim and Autumn garlic

Since I am being hassled for my opinion on my Tiny Tim tomato I thought I had better get to it, lol.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I bit into this little tomato. Reviews tend to put this tomato in the novelty department, probably where it belongs to be honest, but I found it better than usually talked about.

The taste is very mild but a mixture of sweet and sour with the sweet hanging on in the mouth for long after the fruit is eaten. It is very unusual and interesting with a taste I haven't come across before so I will give it a go next year.
I am going to have to ignore other peoples reviews of tomatoes as they tend to change flavour depending on the soil and growing conditions so I will just comment on my own experiences and you will have to try for yourself.

I always think it only feels like autumn when the garlic starts shooting. Of course my Purple Monaro is always earlier than all the others but it makes me smile every year when I see the bare beds come alive.

I have said it before, but this is by far my favourite garlic. It always makes huge bulbs and is ready early, well before anyone elses garlic is ready. Every time you dig it you feel like a great gardener.


Today I popped in to the Merino produce swap and come home with a couple of dozen eggs and some baked goods. There wasn't many people there, only about 20 or so but that was because there is so much happening this weekend, being a long weekend. It should be busier next month.

Tomorrow I will be setting up a table at the tiny Sandford market. I like to support it because it is a great community get-together but I don't make any profit there.

I have been selling my produce in smaller bunches for less and it is working. People were complaining that my bunches were too big and they were wasting too much. This area is mostly singles and couples so they don't want a lot of everything.
It has been working so well that I will keep on doing this. I am making a little more money doing it too. I was selling a large bunch of something (Maybe silverbeet, for example) for $3 and now it is half sized bunches for $2 each. Everyone can afford a coin and it doesn't seem much, and people can get more variety for their $10.

So far I have been experimenting with this new pricing structure for a month, at each of my regular markets, and everyone is happy with it, even at Hamilton where there are more families shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment