Sunday, February 9, 2014

At last, my Bambara Beans are flowering

After a lot of worry that they were not going to flower and I wouldn't get any beans for growing next year my bambara beans have finely started putting out some surprisingly tiny flowers.

I just hope that they turn into pods as I don't think I will be able to get any again. The plants are stunted so I doubt that I will get many seeds but any will be a bonus.

I expected the flowers to be on stalks but they are just popping up at the base of the plants. Tiny but cute.





A couple of my other trial plants are also flowering. This is skirret. These plants are also tiny, I think because they cannot stand the heat. I have never been able to get them through the summer before but I have 3 plants just starting to flower at the moment.

Skirret is a old, 'lost' vegetable grown for its sweet, edible roots. The plants are supposed to grow around a metre tall but mine are barely 20cm.






Lastly, I put in some Jockeys cap lily (Tigridia pavonia) seeds last autumn. I only got a few seeds up but they have started to flower this past week.
These are a popular garden flower but most people don't know that they are are a traditional native food in Mexico.
The tubers are cooked before eating and are reputed to be delicious.






5 comments:

  1. Good luck with the bambara groundnut. It ought to do well In Australia...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bambara groundnut does well in drier climate with sandy soils, i.e. not too wet. Although the Indonesian strain (Kacang Bogor) appears to be more tolerant of wetter climate. May I ask where you found the seeds in Australia? I would like to explore this crop in the drier areas of the South Australian sheep/wheat belt.

    Thanks for any information you might be able to share. Meanwhile, please look at our website at www.cffresearch.org. I think you will be interested in what we do.

    Best regards,
    Max

    Max Herriman
    FishPLUS Research Programme Director

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Max, Your website is very interesting and I have signed up for your newsletter. Please use my blog contact form for your other questions which I will be happy to answer in private.

      Delete
  3. Can I get the seeds in Australia, I live in Queensland in a coastal area with sandy soil which would be suitable I think, we used to grow them back in Africa along with ground nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very difficult to find these seeds in Australia and I had to eventually give mine to another grower to see if he has better luck growing them as I had no real success. It is disappointing but after 3 years trying to grow them I had to give up.

    ReplyDelete