Friday, January 24, 2014

Zohra pumpkin

Today I picked the first two Zohra pumpkins. My neighbours from Afghanistan gave me the seeds and I couldn't find any mention of it on the internet so I planted them just to see what they are like.










While they were growing I was sure that they were summer squash and didn't have a lot of confidence that they would be any good as a pumpkin (winter squash) but I brought these ripe ones in today and asked my mother to cook and taste one tonight as she is the pumpkin lover in this family.

When I cut one I was disappointed in the small amount of flesh, but I suppose that some other pumpkins are like that also. They are thin and soft skinned so will not be good keepers.

After cooking my mother was very impressed with the flavour and smooth texture so I will be growing them again next year. They seem to be good producers and have lots of fruit coming on. The vines are large and vigorous. They still have lots of flowers on them even with the heat and ripening fruit.
---

Today was fairly cool but I still spent most of the day inside. I don't know why my body cannot seem to acclimatise to the summer heat this year. Even on days like today with temps in the mid twenties it feels so hot and the sun burns. It is making me tired and my muscles sore. I just can't spend time in the sun except early in the morning and in the evening. I'm sure Alex must think I am very lazy.

He is also very bored. Last year I was spending this time digging new beds and working on two of my new blocks but I just don't have much work to do at the moment except watering. The weeds are dying off because of the heat and I can't plant anything more till the weather cools down. He is welcome to stay but I just don't have enough work for him and there isn't much for him to do in town in his spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment