Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Root node nematode and other pests

Over the past few weeks I have been pleasantly surprised to find that the beds on D block that I improved with added compost and water saving crystals have no nematodes in them. I am still a bit sceptical as I doubt that they are that easy to control but so far I am happy that the veggies are growing properly. It looks like I will be able to have some winter veggies on this block which I haven't been able to do before as the nematodes destroy most things I grow on those beds over the summer and autumn.

I have done a bit of digging in those beds and was expecting to find some worms and other soil organisms that would not have been there when the beds were unimproved.
The worms are not there, they must have gone into summer dormancy deep in the soil, and I can't see any more other soil animals than normal but since the plants are growing so much better I suppose there are plenty of microscopic animals.

One animal that I am not happy to see is a rabbit that I disturb every day. It has eaten all my snow pea seedlings but other than that I haven't seen any other damage done by it. I am not happy to have it there but there is not much I can do about it. I just hope it not female and doesn't have babies. At least I have rarely seen the kangaroo that was hanging around and jumping all over the beds there.

At least the very hot days we had seems to have cut down the number of other pests like earwigs and snails which have been causing enough damage to make me dig in a couple of beds of Chinese cabbage because they were too damaged to sell. More organic matter so, apart from the wasted time, I didn't lose much.

No comments:

Post a Comment