Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Bean wilt and Vivid Choi again

Over the last couple of days some of the beans in my 'Tongue of fire' beans bed have started to wilt and die. I was guessing fusarium wilt but there is no tell-tale brown streak up the stem. I have never had any trouble with wilts until now but I suppose it is the wet spring/summer that has allowed it to rear its head. I just hope it doesn't spread to any other plants.
I will have to do some Googling to find out exactly what wilt this is to see if I can do anything about it.
















I had a think about what I was going to do with Vivid Choi. As you will know if you have been reading this blog, I have been having trouble getting my customers to buy it for some reason.

I did think I might not grow it any more but I love the colours so much that I will give it another go and try to improve it.
The main problems with it (apart from my failure to attract buyers for it) is the bitterness and early bolting.

The bolting will be easy to fix as there is a clear distinction between the early and late flowerers. This is a simple matter of selection. The selecting for better flavour will take a bit longer. I have also found that the radish-like bulbous root is very tasty, tender and non-bitter so I will be selling the plants whole and highlighting this for my customers from now on.

Yesterday I put in a new bed of them for selection and I will let you know if I have any success with the flavour. Luckily they are very fast growers so hopefully it won't take too long.
I will have to work on the sales, it might take just a bit of time for my customers to get used to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment