Sunday, December 15, 2013

Calla lilies


Although they are not edible I have to admit that I have a soft spot for calla lilies. The form as well as the colours are so beautiful that I always have to stop and look at them.

The problem is that I can only grow them in pots as I have experience in how difficult they are to control when planted in the ground and they start to spread.

Maybe they won't be as bad in my sand as they shouldn't spread without watering, like how I control my mint, but I'm not sure if I can take the chance - once burned and all that.

I only have three plants in pots but I would love some more. This one pictured is the only one out in flower right now. Maybe I will get some but I find that looking after pots in summer is very tiresome.
I know some flowers do well for sale at the market - sunflowers and chrysanthemums and if these are also good sellers it might be worht the bother of growing them outside. Hmmm, something to think about. Anyone who would like to chime in with an opinion is welcome.

Anyway, they are tough plants and I would love to have a heap, maybe they could complement my dwarf bearded iris as pot plants to sell when I am a bit short of stuff at a market. Plants with flowers on them always sell well.

Sorry this isn't a long post, apart from weeding there was not much happening today.

No comments:

Post a Comment