Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Trying out rosella

I bought a small packet of rosella seed (Hibiscus sabdariffa) to check it out. I am not sure if it will grow well in this climate but I have to give it a go. The calyxes around the seed pods are used to make drinks and for rosella jam and it used to be very popular in northern Australia many years ago as well as in other parts of the world.


I planted the seeds in a pot outside with the tomatoes (yeah, I know I should have filled the pot but I was too lazy to go and get more potting mix).

After sowing them I did some googling and found that they need a high heat to germinate so they came inside and into the heated seedling box.
They're looking a bit leggy so I have started hardening them off in some better light even though it is still a bit cold for them.



Last night the long range weather forecast said just what I was dreading, this coming summer was going to be at least as bad as the last one. I am so glad I have spent the money on shading my beds and I will be spending more on water holding crystals shortly. It had better pay off, lol.

My dread is that our water table will drop after a few baking summers and the water board will place restrictions. That will harm my business irrepairably unless my plans work. It will end up costing me $45 for each bed eventually to get them all done (not including water and manure) so it is a big cost over hundreds of beds. It is not going to pay for itself soon so there goes my plans of the enterprise paying for itself and my wages for the next year, but at least I can see it doing so, just a bit further off *sigh* it is always just a bit further off.





















1 comment:

  1. I had a special tool for removing the calyxes from the seed (pod)s. it was a part of a metal bicycle pump.

    ReplyDelete