Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Spring ramblings


It was a cold and rainy day today so I didn't get anything done besides sow a heap of melon and pumpkin seeds in tubes. Everything is swampy which is normal for this time of year but it will dry out quickly come November so I have to get a lot of seed sown this month so it has a good root system by then.

Last year a planted a few (6) Chinese yam (Dioscorea opposita) plants in two of my raised beds. The summer was so hot and dry that they died off before getting a few inches tall so I thought they were dead. I planted my horseradish in one of the beds a couple of months ago.
A few minutes ago when I took the camera out to take todays pictures I was surprised to see three healthy and vigorous shoots from the yams so with a bit of shade this summer I think I will finally get some food from them.




 I have been tinkering with some edible garden ornamentals over the past year. I was not impressed with eating dahlia tubers, cannas were a bit better, the tigridia seeds never came up so I am left with these Brodiaea (Queen Fabiola) flowers.
The bulbs are supposed to be tasty but very small. I am impressed by the way they produce so many offsets at the base so the small bulbs may not be too much of a problem after all.
It is native to North America but planted in gardens all over the world. They can join my other US food plants. I can't wait to eat them.





Please ignore the weeds, they will be pulled tomorrow. My winter dormant rhubarb is showing strong growth now as it comes out of dormancy. Just in time to give the winter bearing plants a well earned rest.



























No comments:

Post a Comment